RYA First Aid
For anyone who spends time on the water, the RYA First Aid Course is a great course. If a medical emergency arises, a little first aid knowledge and immediate action can save lives. This is especially true in situations where it’s not easy to call an ambulance or get to a hospital.
Our promise to you
- Satisfaction Guaranteed
- No Hassle Refunds
Our one-day RYA First Aid course covers all the usual first aid subjects but from a boating perspective. It is aimed at anyone who goes afloat, whether on inland waters, rivers, estuaries or on cross-channel passages. This one-day course is specifically designed with boating and the marine environment in mind, teaching you what to do in situations where people have accidents including how to resuscitate someone, CPR, drowning, cold shock, hypothermia, head injuries, how to control bleeding and recognising and treating seasickness and dehydration through to burns, cuts and bruises. Additionally, the course covers calling for help and knowing how to prepare for a helicopter evacuation. In a medical emergency, a little first aid knowledge and immediate action can save lives, especially in remote locations. This one-day course is designed to provide a working knowledge of first aid for people using small craft, skippers and crew members.
The RYA First Aid course is run at our Godalming College, near Guildford, Surrey, starting at 09:30 and finishing at approximately 17:30. This course also includes the use of a CAT C medical kit, a requirement for commercial endorsement and ISAF offshore qualification. Also run from our classrooms at Godalming College are the Day Skipper & Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster theory courses. The course is aimed at: Anyone who spends time on the water would benefit from attending this course but it also fulfils specific requirements for:
- Watersports instructors & Yacht Skippers;
- Professional skippers (commercial endorsement) of small craft working within 60 miles of a safe haven, including Boatmasters;
- The Senior First Aid certificate needed by offshore racers subject to ISAF’s regulations on first aid training (OSR 4.08.4), including CAT C Medial kit usage);
- Covers use of Category C First Aid kit required for commercially endorsed skippers.
Furthermore, the course is highly recommended by the MCA and HSE. Even if you just sail for pleasure, this course would be hugely beneficial in the event of an incident at sea. The subjects specific to boating include:
- The recovery position in a confined space
- CPR, including the drowning protocol
- Cold shock and hypothermia from immersion and/or exposure
- Seasickness and dehydration
- Medical assistance or advice by VHF
- Helicopter rescue
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.