This does not include the processing fees payable directly to the RYA. Please visit the RYA exam fees page for more details or the Examination information below.
The VHF radio is an essential piece of safety equipment on board a small craft and can be used under the supervision of a licensed operator. It is important to note that any person operating a VHF radio without the correct certification is liable for prosecution and can have the equipment confiscated.
The online RYA SRC/VHF Radio course teaches the basics of VHF radio operation, the correct frequencies (channels) to be used and distress, emergency & medical assistance procedures. The VHF radio network has undergone significant change with the implementation of the Global Maritime Distress System (G.M.D.S.S.), and these changes are looked at in-depth.
We are also happy to advise on the best radio equipment for your vessel; just get in touch to discuss.
At the end of the RYA SRC (VHF) Radio online course, an independent examiner will prepare you to take an exam. Once the online course is finished, you will be issued a unique completion code. This is required before taking the exam. The exam is not difficult and has a high pass rate.
You cannot take the exam online; it has to be taken at an RYA Training Centre authorised to undertake SRC Certificate assessments. A separate processing fee is payable directly to the RYA for assessing and issuing the “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Certificate of Competence and Authority to Operate”. See more details in the Examination tab above.
Once you’ve booked the online course, you will receive a voucher code to book a discounted exam slot. The exam slots cost £20 (discounted to £10 if you booked the online course with us) and are 3 hours, allowing you plenty of time to get familiar with the radios used for assessment.
You can change the date and time up to 2 weeks before the exam should you feel you are not ready to do it.
SRC (VHF) Marine Radio Course Syllabus
- Background information on the GMDSS system and its equipment and licensing requirements
- Radio rules and regulations
- Operation of marine VHF equipment, including DSC functions
- The phonetic alphabet
- Basic radio language and protocols, including pro words such as over, say again, out etc.
- Correct use of the various channels
- How to make calls to other stations
- How to send a Distress Alert and Distress Message (Mayday)
- How to send an urgency alert and a safety call
- Sit the short written exam upon successful completion of which you will be issued with the ” United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Certificate of Competence and Authority to Operate”
SRC (VHF) Examination
You must pass an examination to be issued a VHF Short Range Certificate (license to operate a VHF Marine Radio). This cannot be done online & you must attend a recognised RYA Training Centre.
The SRC exam is carried out by an independent assessor and consists of a written theory exam (multiple choice) and an assessment of the practical use of marine VHF radios. The exam fee is payable directly to the RYA. (Please look at the section on the examination fees for more details.
Each of our bookable exam slots is 3 hours, allowing you plenty of time to get familiar with the training radios and prepare for the examination. We recommend a little revision before attending your exam, however, should the worst happen, you can take one re-sit on the day should you have a bad day! (Note: any re-sit is a different exam paper from the first.)
You can complete the online course with us and book the exam with another Training Centre. You will have to check the details with them for more information.
- FREE with our classroom SRC (VHF) Marine Radio course
- £10 with our online SRC (VHF) Marine Radio course
- £20 if you have completed the course via another RYA Training Centre or for any of the other qualifying criteria (see below)
The SRC exam fee is £70 and covers the cost of the examiner and the administration of processing and issuing the certificate. The fee is payable directly to the RYA before taking the exam. We will send reminders and links to make payment before your booked examination slot. However, you can now pay in advance by clicking here. You will need to create an RYA online account. Just follow the guided process on the exam payment page.
To be eligible for the exam, on the day of the exam, all candidates must:
- be 16 years old or older, and
- present one of the following eligibility documents:
- evidence of completing an RYA SRC training course through an RYA Recognised Training Centre,
(You don’t have to have done the SRC (VHF) Marine Radio course with us to book an exam slot; however, you will need to provide the certificate of completion from whoever you have taken the course with), or
- an RYA Restricted VHF certificate, or
- a suitable aviation radio operator’s certificate.
You cannot just take the exam without one of the eligibility documents above. Failure to provide will result in the loss of your exam slot. We will not refund the Exam Slot fee.